Monday, August 9, 2010

The Name Game

Choosing Baby Names

Choosing the perfect name for your little one can be such a delightful headache I believe. There are hundreds and thousands of names to choose from and the very fact that the chosen name will stay with your baby for the rest of his or her life makes it so important to choose the ‘right’ name.



A couple of days ago, my friends were telling me that parents these days employ off the wall ideas for their baby’s names. For instance, Amandine, Amber Rose, Leola Victoria Electra Lee, Gene, and the list goes on.


Moving on to the more bizarre names... Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q, Pilot Inspecktor, Fifi Trixibelle, Tu Morrow, Moxie Crimefighter, Audio Science, Dweezil, Zowie and so on. No offense but I’m seriously tickled. These names are certainly attention grabbing but, sad to say, they aren’t for very good reasons.


If you’d ask me, would I name my kid Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa, or Diva Thin Muffin? The answer is: Uh-uh, no. As cool as they may sound, I would still stick with conventional names. Well, perhaps not dead boring ones but nice-sounding names like, Lauren, Shannon, or perhaps Canon? I wouldn’t want my kid to fall victim to tongue twisting names which nobody could possibly remember and risk being the butt of cruel jokes.


I know people who have bizarre sounding names and honestly speaking, they don’t have it easy. They are teased at occasionally, names pronounced wrong, given shortened names, that make them wish for less unusual names. Therefore I conclude that sometimes, being too creative with names isn’t such a good thing after all.


FYI: I was just kidding about the Canon part, I couldn’t resist putting that in. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment