Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grill Bake Poach

Healthier ways of cooking

I was introduced to healthier ways of cooking a few days ago by a friend of mine, Jean, who believes in enjoying food by using healthy cooking methods. As I am a person who is alien to the world of cooking, she tells me the definition of these cooking methods and the benefits they entail:

Grill: To boil on a gridiron or other apparatus. Grilling requires less cooking time than other methods, and it doesn’t take away the natural tenderness or natural flavour of the meats.

Bake: To cook by dry heat in an oven or on heated metal or stones. Baked foods are tasty, juicy and flavourful as they are cooked within their own oil and minimizes the use of cooking oil.

Poach: To cook in a hot liquid that is kept below boiling point. It is a healthier method of cooking as it allows you to cook without the additional use of oil.

Wow, these cooking methods certainly sounds a lot more healthier than the rest doesn’t it? When I dropped by her place, Jean let me sample her speciality honey baked chicken, with a light sprinkling of herbs. I tell you, the chicken is really delicious and it shows that using healthy cooking methods does not necessarily compromise on the taste. Hence not to worry about about the taste factor, cooking your food the GBP way will make them taste equally delicious, or even better!

In my opinion, it is a blessing to reside in a country where there is an overflowing abundance of good food. At every turn, there is sure to be a food outlet that boasts of tasty food, or at food that appeases your growling stomach for a while. My all time favourite foods are deep fried dough fritters, fish and chips, fried chicken wings and char kway teow. Most of these foods are deep fried, definitely a very oily and sinful affair. If I am to eat this kind of food on a daily basis... My oh my, not only will I become so unhealthy, my dress size will double! To prevent this terrible fate from befalling me, I’m going to try grill bake poach. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment