Friday, May 7, 2010

All Eyes On Cord Blood

Eyes, a blessing that we normally take for granted. Research has shown using stem cells to treat serious eye conditions..

Yesterday I woke up, laid in my bed and admired the colours of my bedroom walls. I rolled over and smiled at the new wall stickers I stuck. These are a few things that set my mood for the morning.

It is also something that many of us take for granted. Something that we’re so fortunate to have but yet can’t imagine living without. It is our sight, a blessing that many people are forced to live without.
The fortunate news:

Recent study reports that umbilical mesenchymal stem cells (a specific type of stem cell with unique properties) could be a potential treatment for corneal disease- whether present at birth or acquired.
Winston Whei-Yang Kao PhD, Professor of Ophthalmology remarked “Worldwide, there is a shortage of suitable corneas for transplantation, and at the present time, there is no effective alternative procedure besides corneal transplantation to treat corneal blindness,” he added, “there is a large need to develop alternative treatment regimens, one of which may be the transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells.”

Tonight when I fall asleep, I shall remember how luck I am to see the beautiful things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment